Southwestern Law School is a private law school in Mid-Wilshire, Los Angeles. It is accredited by the American Bar Association and enrols about 870 students. Its campus includes the Bullocks Wilshire building, an art deco National Register of Historic Places landmark built-in 1929. Southwestern is an independent law school with no affiliation to any undergraduate university.
Southwestern Law School was founded on November 25, 1911, as the Southwestern College of Law. John J. Schumacher, its founder, intended the nonprofit institution to be a law school that reached out to women and minorities. The school is the second oldest law school in Los Angeles. Southwestern received a university charter in 1913 after it expanded to include a number of other disciplines including a business school. Southwester’s first home was in the Union Oil Building in downtown Los Angeles, followed by a small campus on South Hill Street, where it existed for the ensuing decades.
The campus is in the Koreatown area of the Mid-Wilshire district near downtown Los Angeles. The campus comprises the Westmoreland Building and the Bullocks Wilshire Building. Both house classrooms, administrative offices, and faculty offices. The Bullocks Wilshire Building also houses the Leigh Taylor Law Library (named for a former Dean of the law school), the Julian Dixon Courtroom and Advocacy Center, a fitness centre, a dining area, and student lounges.
Tuition and Fees
• Summer 2019 $ 1,843
• LL.M. Students (Summer 2019) $ 1,843
• LL.M. Students (Fall/Spring) $ 1,843
• Visiting Students (Summer 2019) $ 1,843
• Visiting Students (Fall/Spring) $ 1,843
• Summer Externship (Full-Time Day)/$1,000 (Flat Rate)
• Summer Externship (Part-Time) $ 1,843
• January Intersession No Charge (J.D. & SCALE)
• Student Services Fee (Fall/Spring) $200/per year
• Student Services Fee (Summer) $50/per term
• Student Services Fee (SCALE) $250/per year
• Parking Fee (Day) $510/Fall/Spring
• Parking Fee (Evening) $154/Fall/Spring
• Parking Fee (SCALE I) $603/Period 1-4
• Parking Fee (SCALE II) $414/Period 5-7
• Parking Fee (SCALE II) $138/Period 8
• Parking Fee (Summer Term) $40/per term
• Parking Fee (Campus Housing) $75/per month
The LL.M. program offers a rigorous academic curriculum designed for foreign-educated students. In the first semester, students are required to enrol in two courses designed for the LL.M. program:
Introduction to the American Legal System (3 credits), and
U.S. Legal Writing (3 credits)
Students must complete a minimum of 18 additional elective credits and satisfy the Writing Requirement (minimum 25-page research paper) in order to obtain the degree. All elective courses are taken alongside our J.D. students and LL.M. students are meaningfully integrated into the academic life of the College of Law.
Diversify your studies with the ability to enrol in up to two graduate-level elective courses in other master’s programs at Syracuse University – a mid-sized international university, with a top-tier R1 research classification.
Enjoy all that campus life and the vibrant community at Syracuse University has to offer with amenities including Division I sports, the new Barnes Center for student wellness, and the Center for International Services.