Studying of Law is the study of legal system, which the government or rulers of the state as made to live a life in society. Law is basically a set of rules and principles to create harmony, peace, balance and to provide justice. Now coming to top law schools in Scotland, if you are student of law and wanted to find the law university or colleges, down below is the list of top schools in Scotland. The top law schools in Scotland are The School of Law at Glasgow University, The School of Law at the University of Aberdeen and Dundee Law School University of Dundee.
Top Law Schools in Scotland
The School of Law at the University of Glasgow offers undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Law. It awards the degrees of Bachelor, Master of Laws, LL.M by Research, Master of Research and Doctor of Philosophy. It founded in 1451 and located at Glasgow, Scotland.
Undergraduate Degrees (LLB)
The School of Law at the University of Glasgow offers undergraduate degrees program in Scottish Law and Common Law. Besides that it offers and the joint degree of LLB and LL.M.
Scots Law LLB
This graduate entry undergraduate program is fast track program consists of two years. That is available to graduates of any discipline, including Law.
For First Years students will study:
- Obligations 1A
- Obligations 1B
- Introduction to Legal Study
- Family law
- Constitutional law
- Criminal law and Evidence
For Second Year:
- Law and government
- Legal profession and ethics
- Property law
- Commercial law
- Business Organizations
- European Union law
Besides these subjects there are elective subjects to choose from. These subjects include Roman law, International Private Law, Labor Law, Forensic Medicine, Public International Law and Tax Law. The tuition fee structure varies from student’s origination and countries.
Common Law (LLB)
It is also a 2 years undergraduate degree program, designed for entering graduate level. For the first year, the subjects include:
- Common Law System and Method
- Constitutional Law
- English Criminal law
- European Law
- Law of Contract
- Law of Tort
For the Next Year:
- Business Organizations
- Commercial Law
- Common Law Tradition
- English Land Law
- Equity and Trusts
- Law and Government
LLB Plus LL.M ( Joint Degree)
Besides these two undergraduate degrees, The School of Law at the University of Glasgow offers a joint degree of LLB and LL.M as well. The degree is designed as such that students will study undergraduate LLB for 2 years and 1 year of LL.M.
Not only that, students will have the option as a graduate to combine the two-year Common Law LLB or Scots Law LLB degree with the one-year LL.M. Choose an LL.M program in an area such as International Commercial Law, International Competition Law & Policy or International Law and Security.
LL.M Degree Programs
The Masters in Law (General LL.M) provides a challenging general legal education at graduate level. The School of Law at the University of Glasgow offers LL.M in seven different fields of Law:
- Masters of law in Corporate & Financial Law
- Masters of law in Intellectual Property & the Digital Economy
- Masters of law in International Commercial Law
- Masters of law in International Competition Law & Policy
- Masters of law in International Economic Law
- Masters of law in International Law
- Masters of law in International Law & Security
The LL.M degree program tuition fee:
Home and EU Students
Full-time fee: £8450
Part-time fee: £939 per 20 credits
Full-time fee: £18920
The School of Law offers two research based programs of 12 months each, for students who wanted to do the degree of PhD.
- LAW MRes, Home and EU students for £8450 and for international students for £18920
- SOCIO-LEGAL STUDIES MRes, Home and EU students for £8000 and for international students for £18920
Diploma in Professional Legal Practice
Besides the degrees, The School of Law at the University of Glasgow offers Diploma in Professional Legal Practice. It is a post graduate diploma for 1 academic session. The Diploma provides the students with the necessary qualification to pursue a legal trainee-ship. Undertaken after obtaining your LLB, it is the next step towards a career as a solicitor or advocate in Scotland. And it tuition fee for every student is £8450 with part time for one year, only offered to home and EU students for £4,225.
The School of Law at the University of Aberdeen founded in 1495. Currently, it is one of the largest law schools in Scotland. The School of Law at the University of Aberdeen is the professional law school ranked 5th in UK. It offers many degree programs in Undergraduate LLB level, graduate LL.M and post graduate level.
The law school offer LLB and LLB Honors undergraduate programs. The LLB requires three years to complete, during which students must give a satisfactory performance in a broad selection of law subjects. While in the Honors, the latter part of the second year of their LLB, students decide whether they wish to apply for the four-year degree of LLB with Honors. Other than these degree, school of law offers combines degree programs both for LLB and LLB Honors.
Combined LLB Degrees
A law degree may be combined with language study or with any number of other subjects:
- LLB or LLB (Honors) with Options in French Language
- LLB or LLB (Honors) with Options in German Language
- LLB or LLB (Honors) with Options in Spanish Language
- Law with Options in Gaelic Language
- LLB or LLB (Honors) with Options in Accountancy
- LLB or LLB (Honors) with Options in Economics
- LLB or LLB (Honors) with Options in Management Studies
- LLB or LLB (Honors) with Options in Music
A law degree may also be combined with the study of the law of another country:
- LLB or LLB (Honors) and French Law
- LLB or LLB (Honors) and German Law
- LLB or LLB (Honors) and Belgian Law
- LLB or LLB (Honors) and Spanish Law
For those students who take an option in foreign law spend their third year studying abroad. On the other hand, the tuition fee is different for home, EU and international students.
Accelerated Two-year LLB for Graduates
It is two years LL.M program with 180 credit hours. This degree covers following law subjects. Subjects include criminal, public and private law, legal systems, contracts, human rights and explore family law, the law of property and legal aspects of the EU.
Masters of Law (LL.M)
The School of Law at the University of Aberdeen offers extensive LL.M programs. The law school has number of Masters Degrees in law and other related subjects. It includes online LL.M degree programs, General Law, Human Rights and Criminal Law, International Law, Commercial Law, Energy and Environment and Intellectual Property Law. An LL.M requires 180 credits, with options from 30 to 60 credits per semester. Legal Principles is compulsory, taken at the start of your program.
All online programs offers full time for 12 months and for part time is 36 months.
- LL.M Dispute Resolution
- LL.M International Trade Law
- LL.M International Trade Law and Treaty Negotiation with Professional Skills
- LL.M Oil and Gas Law with Dissertation
- LL.M Oil and Gas Law with Professional Skills (Online and Summer School)
The LL.M in general Law is for those students, who do not, wanted to choose a specialist LL.M but who wish to study law at an advanced level. Students are given the opportunity to select a range of course modules from across the LL.M specialist degrees. The subjects include Oil and Minerals for Good, International Law, The Politics of Human Rights and Criminal Evidence & proof.
Human Rights & Criminal Justice
- LL.M Criminal Justice
- LL.M Human Rights
- LL.M Criminal Justice & Human Rights
- LL.M Human Rights & Criminal Justice
- LL.M International Law
- LL.M Public International Law
- LL.M Private International Law
- LL.M International Law and International Relations
- LL.M International Law and Strategic Studies
- LL.M International Commercial Law with Dissertation
- LL.M International Commercial Law with Professional Skills
- LL.M International Trade Law
- LL.M International Trade Law & Treaty Negotiation with Professional Skills
- LL.M Business Law and Sustainable Development with Dissertation
Energy and Environment
- LL.M Energy Law with Dissertation
- LL.M Energy Law with Professional Skills
- LL.M Oil & Gas Law with Dissertation
- LL.M Oil & Gas Law with Professional Skills
- LL.M Energy and Environmental Law with Dissertation
- LL.M Energy and Environmental Law with Professional Skills
Intellectual Property Law
- LL.M Intellectual Property Law with Professional Skills
- LL.M Intellectual property Law with Dissertation
These are all the disciplines of Masters of Law LL.M offers by The School of Law at the University of Aberdeen.
Research Degrees in Law
The School of Law at the University of Aberdeen offers two research degrees in law. One is the highest degree of law, that is PhD with full time for 36 months and for part time is 60 months. Students have write thesis of 100,000 words.
And the second one is the Masters of Law by Research, which consist of 12 months with 3 months compulsory in house study. And for distance learning it will take 24 months.
Dundee Law School University of Dundee
The Dundee Law School is the law school of the University of Dundee in Scotland. It is founded in 1967 and it gives undergraduate and postgraduate teaching in Scots and English law. It also allows students to qualify into all three United Kingdom legal jurisdictions. The school of law is among the top 10 ranked law schools in United Kingdom.
The Dundee Law School of law offers undergraduate law degrees LLB in different aspects of law in both English and Scots. With a flexible program, students can earn a degree both in English and Scots and also in dual language as well. Besides that the LLB also offers law with different languages like French, German or Spanish. It is three years program and if students wanted to do honors and joint degree they have to select another subject with Scot Law with History or Politics.
- Law (LLB) Eng Law
- Law (LLB) Scots Law
- Law (LLB) Eng/Scots
- Law (LLB) with French/German/ Spanish
- Law (LLB) Energy Law
Accelerated LLB Program is two years program with Scots and English Law.
The Dundee Law School offers a variety of field of law for LL.M degree programs. These degree programs include:
- LL.M Law (General)
- International Commercial Law
- Corporate & Commercial Law
- Environmental Law
- International Criminal Justice & Human Rights
- International Law & Security
- Law, Banking & Finance
- International Commercial Law with University of Cergy Pontoise
- Comparative & European Private International Law
- Comparative & European Private International Law with The University of Toulouse
- LL.M Healthcare Law and Ethics (distance learning)
All the LL.M degree program tuition fee for Scottish, EU and rest of UK students is £7,300 per year of study and for international students £17,275 per year of study.
Besides that, school of law also offs post-graduate diploma in Professional Legal practice. It is a 9 months program with tuition fee £7,850.